Portishead was also the telephone control centre used by British Telecom (BT) for non-direct dialled calls to maritime vessels, a service known as Portishead Radio.
The town's population is expanding, and Portishead is now primarily a dormitory town for Bristol and its environs, although a range of service industries has grown up.
In the 14th century it belonged to Everard le Frenshe.
In 1621 the Bristol Corporation purchased large portions of land in Portishead and revived the Manor Court.
The headquarters of Avon and Somerset Constabulary are in Portishead.